domenica 14 giugno 2009

CONCERT yesterday with Young Madrigal singers

the Madrigalists had a concert yesterday. These are 12 adolescents. It was largely very successful although 4 singers were still suffering from laringitis, and I also had to barter for a free room at the Fiesole Music school. I had reserved the Limonaia (where lemons used to be grown) but Brigitte's orchestra was rehearsing. Kindly I convinced her to move her group to another large place, then I rearranged everything, brought in flowers in a vase for the piano, swept the floor with the broom and set up the chairs. I did vocal warm-ups with the kids, they sounded fine. Then the concert started, the pieces where everyone sings together went wonderfully - madrigals, canzonettes, motets - but largely speaking everyone was SO nervous they could hardly sing their solos. I must say that Cristina and both Eleonoras did very well, so did Costanza and Francesca P - her father was in the second row. Poor Chiara kept watching her mom who has to be operated on soon and broke down during the first song. She lost her father last year. I was accompanying so I just started over and she pulled thru. She also sang a second piece with the group on the refrain, and that went fine.Eleonora B was totally pissed off . . angry, wouldn't look at the public, wouldn't take a bow, wouldn't smile. I wrote these kids a letter telling them they need to be happy, the public that comes in great heat need to see pleasant people sing. They must bring some camomille and learn to present their songs in good humor, with good education - that is, they must be polite and smile and look at the people as they perform. We'll have to study this format our next lesson. Anyhow, I find some of their mentalities really difficult to cope with, spoiled kids used to compliments all the time. High expectations of themselves in every occasion yet they'll talk all during rehearsal and then go to pieces in a concert. Some parents are hard on the kids, others are just so busy all the time they only get to hear them twice a year and the kids want to make a fabulous impression, but they are too immature yet, scared of everyone and start to cry or breathe badly, then sing wrong notes and won't take a bow. Maybe they figure they didn't deserve any applause . .

Riccardo and I shared accompanying the kids for lack of time to rehearse together with each singer. I rewrote many accompaniments so that the accompanying music basically comes out the same but is written more simply. This made my job easier, especially since I don't see too well. People came to the concert that don't have much time to spare. So that was nice. Oh yes, my friend Annamaria M came, and an ex-pupil came, Giulia P, now an upcoming singer. She has a professional mentality, thank god someone does somewhere in my week. I meet very few professionally minded people in all walks of life. I guess they figure life is too short so why bother being meticulous, I think the opposite, just because life IS short, one should try to do things as best as possible, you may not have the time to get a second chance. Anyhow, my 12 adolescent singers in the Madrigal course ALL came to the concert yesterday, all wanted to sing even those without voice ! ! ! but their anxiety and fear of performing in public is outrageous, I wrote them a letter that they must cut it out. Let's hope it takes effect.

UPDATE THREE DAYS LATER
A lot of kids are coming over to my house for lessons and swear to present their pieces better on the next occasion. So it's not a bad idea to write a lousy letter of discontent to your students, if they really want to make you happy and really love their music, they'll come through and try to alter their behaviour. Maybe it's happening this way now since school is closed and they are more relaxed. However, one girl was telling me how nuts and critical this one mom is, no wonder her daughter age 15 sings angry and starts to cry afterwards. Too bad, lovely kid ruined by her mom.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento